Tuesday, August 4, 2009

cafeteria food

the cafeteria at my school makes food even during the summer because there are people who work all summer long, like the office staff. lately though, the teachers have been there too getting ready for school, and everyone eats lunch together. the cafeteria serves both western and chinese food, especially when the students are there, because there are students from all different parts of the world. right now it's pretty much all chinese food though (i think the only "western" thing i've had is broccoli).

right now there is always rice and also some kind of soup. then there is a main dish, and then two kinds of vegetables. the main dishes are usually some kind of a meat, often with a sauce. yesterday it was beef with potatoes and a sauce. the vegetables have been things like broccoli, as already mentioned, and bokchoy, green beans, mushrooms that i actually *don't* like (you should be shocked), and other vegetables that i don't know the name of but have interesting flavors.

the most interesting cafeteria food so far that i enjoyed (there were some others i didn't enjoy so much, mostly vegetables that i didn't know what they were) was the main dish today. it was shrimp. but it was shrimp that was cooked entirely whole. when they put it on my tray, there were eyes and feet and antennas on all of them. i knew there was good shrimp in there somewhere, but the eyes kept looking at me... (i like shrimp a lot, in case you didn't know) finally i asked how i was supposed to eat it and someone showed me. the chinese lady sitting across from me said, "so that's why you kept staring at them!" she didn't have any because she said they were too much work to eat. so i learned how to take their heads off and peel them all. =) i think i was partially prepared by excellent meals involving shrimp with stacey and teri & ben before i left where i helped them shell the shrimp (is that what you call it?). anyway, in the end, i enjoyed the shrimp very much! once the eyes and antennas were gone. those antennas were hanging off the tray all over the place! it was kind of hilarious actually.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad I could be a part of the preparation process for you in regards to eating in China!! :) I went to a fancy restaurant once (I won a gift card in a raffle) and my dish literally came out with tentacles and antenna waving all over the place... It was disturbing. :)
    -Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seems normal enough to me!! ;-) I guess you wouldn't get that in SB or Turlock. I don't like working that hard for my food. Glad you enjoyed it!

    Lianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's amazing! :) I've seem many of those at family reunions...you are brave! I finally will eat shrimp though so maybe I could rise to the challenge this time like you!
    -Alissa
    *hugs!*

    ReplyDelete