unfortunately, that was a few months ago, and lately my chinese study has been almost non-existent. hours and hours on busses, in airports, on planes, and in vans might be good for my chinese study in the near future. i've been starting to forget a lot of words and characters that i knew well a couple months ago. it may also be partly that i thought i knew them well, but when i start to learn other characters that look similar or words that sound similar, suddenly i don't know the original ones as well anymore.
but this post is supposed to be about fruit. they have nashi here, for those of you who know what that is! (japanese pear?) i actually don't eat them that much. now that they are readily available for cheap, i just don't get them. quite different from when i used to stand in vons staring at them and trying to decide if one small not-so-good-looking one was really worth $2. it's also just that i'm lazy to buy food for my house...
this is the fruit i've been eating a lot of because they're 方便 (fāng biàn) (convenient). they're easily transported and can be eaten anywhere without making a mess. they're called 桔子 (jú zi) here. or mikans in japan. or tangerines, maybe. i'm not really sure what tangerines are though. but i know these are mikans or 桔子 and that those two are the same thing.
ok, the rest of the pictures aren't mine. what do these look like to you?
they're a fruit...when i first saw them i thought they were rice with seeds mixed in though. so weird. they never cut them in wedges like this here though. they're always in flat pieces. this isn't that popular of a fruit in comparison to others, but i've eaten it a few times.they're called dragon fruit! this is apparently what the outside looks like:
i've never seen one whole before. here's one cut in half:
this fruit confuses me.
dragon fruit! Yeah, I've seen it, but I do think it's super bizarre. Do you have... ummm... jeruk bali/ pomello? It's like a grapefruit but a little bigger and sweeter, and the skin is really thick.
ReplyDeleteI can see why they're called dragon fruit from their appearance on the outside. Very pretty!
ReplyDeleteBut when I saw the inside, the first thing that came to mind was some sort of creature under a microscope... They are interesting looking. What do they taste like?
~Audra
p.s. Congrats on learning more Chinese! Keep up the good work!
ReplyDelete~Audra
yes they have pomello here! that was an interesting one when i first saw it too.
ReplyDeleteSo that's what dragon fruit is. I think I've heard of it without knowing what is was. I sent you a package this past week, and then I remembered that I was going to write to you in Chinese... I guess you won't get it until after your vacation.
ReplyDeleteLianne