Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Covid-19 Pandemic: Days 46-52

Day 46, Monday, April 27: This is the last week of "regular" class before finals.  I doubt students will come anymore to my Zoom sessions since there aren't any actual assignments left, just their last test today and then their final exam next week.
Dr. S posted her final exam yesterday, so I started working on that this morning.  Her other tests have been very reasonable but I'm not liking this one very much so far.  It's probably mostly that it's cumulative and I haven't looked at some of the stuff in a long time.  But Dr. P won't make his final exam available until Thursday (and then both are due the following Thursday), so it's nice I have time to work on one of the exams a bit ahead of time.
Mick and I made pumpkin pancakes and scrambled eggs with mushrooms and spinach for lunch.  So yummy.

Day 47, Tuesday, April 28: I got an email letting our class know that Dr. P passed away over the weekend.  They didn't say why.  But they will let us know how it will work the finish the class.  I'm sad.
I went outside to try to take pictures of birds.  It was difficult to get close enough to any bird to be able to see it but I got a few pictures.  It was fun to watch them, but I felt sad.  I supposed I should finish my assignment for Dr. S's class.

Day 48, Wednesday, April 29: I submitted the last homework assignment for Dr. S's class and I've been working on the final exam for that class.
It was good to be with our community group on Google hangouts again.
Mick and I finished watching Picard!  I liked it well enough.  Seven of Nine's story so far didn't end as darkly as it seemed like it would, so that's good.  Her character seemed very disconnected though; like what about all the relationships she had on Voyager?  They get back to earth and she feels totally alone?  That doesn't seem right.  I mean, they have transporter technology!  She should have been able to see people who cared about her regularly.  So anyway, her story seemed quite disconnected from all that.
I've tried watching Star Trek Discovery again, but it only feels vaguely interesting to me.
Parks and Rec is pretty great.

Day 49, Thursday, April 30: It's really starting to feel like everyday is the same.  Maybe I work on some homework, go on a couple walks with Drummer, read some, watch something and work on the cross stitch project, listen to Tim Johnson (old friend of my parents) play the piano live from his home (he does this every week night!), maybe make dinner if we're out of leftovers, maybe watch a movie or play a game with Mick if he's not working....
Supposedly the state of Missouri is going to start opening some things again starting May 4, but it seems like the city of St. Louis is on a different timeline.  What I heard before is that the city will re-evaluate its "lockdown" in mid-May.  So we'll see.

Day 50, Friday, May 1:  I found out there won't be any final exam for Dr. P's class, given the situation.  They are just giving me the grade I have as it stands.  So strange.  I'm relieved, but it also seems weird since it's basically only based on one test.  The other test we'd submitted to him he hadn't graded yet.  But I'm not complaining.  I found an obituary that said he died of "natural causes" in his home.
I went on a longer walk by myself today since Drummer gets tired if he walks much more than a mile, and I took Drummer on his own walk in the evening.  He was super excited about it since he'd had to wait all day.
The color I'm working on for the cross stitch project is really similar to a previous color.  It's driving me crazy.  I will be glad to do a very different color next.
I've been watching The Brady Bunch, Star Trek Discovery, and Parks and Rec.  Mick and I are watching Season 7 of Monk.  We need to find another show to watch together.  Monk is only so interesting, especially the later seasons.

Day 51, Saturday, May 2: We're having to go for walks in the mornings now since it's starting to get hotter during the day.
Mick and I spent some time cleaning today.
You know what it is about Star Trek Discovery, it's like one trauma after another!  That's what the show is.  There's no regular life relationships or funny things or day to day drama.  It's all serious over the top the galaxy is ending kind of drama. It makes the people seem fake.  Voyager, for example, had lots of difficult/traumatic situations, but there were also many many episodes that just focused on a situation with a certain character, and that revealed things about that character and his/her relationship with other people, so in future episodes when they DID have some crazy situation, the way people reacted seemed reasonable because they had actual relationships with each other.  The relationships in Star Trek Discovery seem fabricated because they didn't take the time to build them, just to tell you about them, and the things they tell you are how someone saved someone else or some shared trauma.  It's strange.  Maybe the assumption is that people who watch want to see more excitement and action.

Day 52, Sunday, May 3: I'm bored, so bored.  My mind even considered adopting a dog, but we don't have room for another dog in the apartment (maybe a small one...?) and the yard is not enclosed so it would be challenging to take 2 dogs out there when we needed to.  Or maybe it wouldn't.  I don't know.  But really we don't have room for another dog.  Sigh.
I want to invite people over.  Mick and I played Ticket to Ride Africa and the consensus is that that game needs more than 2 people.  So, back to the cross stitch.
Mick and I did go for a longer walk in the foresty part of Forest Park today.

No comments:

Post a Comment