Saturday, June 30, 2012

minor key hymns

general note about this entire blog: if you comment, i have to approve the comment before it shows up, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately appear--i will make sure it shows up soon.  so feel free to comment. =)

there was a hymn sung at seth and alissa's wedding that i had in my head all week because charis and betsy would randomly sing it since they were practicing it for the special music for the wedding, and i ended up really liking this hymn a lot!  i must have heard it before because it sounded really familiar, but thinking about the words and having it in my head throughout the week was good.  plus it's in a minor key, and for some reason hymns in minor keys really appeal to me.
and the words go like this:

What Wondrous Love Is This

What wondrous love is this, O my soul, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this, O my soul!
What wondrous love is this
That caused the Lord of bliss
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul, for my soul,
To bear the dreadful curse for my soul!

When I was sinking down, sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down, sinking down,
When I was sinking down
Beneath God’s righteous frown,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul for my soul,
Christ laid aside His crown for my soul.

To God and to the Lamb I will sing, I will sing;
To God and to the Lamb I will sing;
To God and to the Lamb,
Who is the great I AM,
While millions join the theme, I will sing, I will sing,
While millions join the theme, I will sing.

And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on;
And when from death I’m free, I’ll sing on.
And when from death I’m free
I’ll sing His love for me,
And through eternity I’ll sing on, I’ll sing on,
And through eternity I’ll sing on.


there is a lot of repetition, but in this song i like it, because it fits, and it's simple, but meaningful, and it gives you time to think about what is being said. (sometimes i really don't like repetition in worship songs, but in this case it seems well written, and like poetry).  i think i also like this hymn because it acknowledges that sin and death are real and there are difficult things in this life.  i want to play it on the cello!!

here's another minor key hymn that i like a lot, just for fun.
i tried to play this one on the cello, but in any key that it tried it required up or down extensions of a finger from first position, which i'm really bad at and haven't been taught how to do, even though i technically "know" what you should do.  so, i can't really play it, sadly (yet).  hopefully the other one though!  but this makes me wonder if that will happen with any hymn in a minor key.  we shall see.


No comments:

Post a Comment