Monday, April 1, 2019

Book: Someone Knows My Name

I'm having trouble knowing what words to use to recommend this book, but I definitely recommend it.  I learn best about history through stories of individual people who experienced historical events, and this book did an excellent job of teaching about history in that way, even though it's a novel.  Most of the characters are not "real people," but their experiences are based on historical events, and through that I learned a lot.  Plus this is a very moving and beautifully written story of one woman's life.  I rarely cry when reading a book, but this was one of those.

This book had me thinking about a number of topics and themes, some in new ways, and some with more clarity.  What struck me is how most of these themes carry over into our world still today, more than 200 years after the time period of the story in this book.  Here are a few:
  • White privilege.
  • Trafficking and slavery of people. 
  • Separation of children from parents.
  • Certain people being expected to live in certain areas. (not sure the technical name for this)
  • Portrayal/knowledge of Africa.
Read this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment