Sunday, November 12, 2017

Book: Alabaster by Chris Aslan

Usually I'm not that interested in reading books based on Bible stories, as this one is.  But this one is written by a TCK who lived overseas in the Middle East while growing up and for many years as an adult in Central Asia as well.  So I was intrigued, from knowing a little about the author through what is written on his website, which I found out about through a guest article he wrote on a blog for people who live or have lived overseas that I often read.  (I definitely recommend this blog.)

So I decided to get his book and see if I liked it before his next book comes out at the end of January.  I was for sure pleasantly surprised.  I almost wished I hadn't known it was based on a Bible story when I started reading it (though it would be pretty much impossible to avoid knowing that or figuring it out), because the story on its own was so well written.  But of course, since it's based on a familiar story, I couldn't help but anticipating certain events.  The way the author wove the experiences of the characters together in the meantime though was wonderful.  Having known all the Bible stories for most of my life, it's easy to forget that they are about real people, and this book brings that alive.  The details of the characters' lives in the story told by the author are not meant to imply that's the exact historical way things happened.  The point is to be immersed in the story.  I found myself strongly anticipating when Jesus was actually going to show up.  It made me realize I don't anticipate Jesus showing up in my own life.  I doubt he will show up, and I doubt he will do anything, just like Mary and Martha.

I would recommend this book since it's written by a good story-teller, a male author who can write such a seemingly realistic story about the life of a woman, and from the perspective of someone who has been immersed in cultures similar to the story's setting.  It also deals with real and difficult life issues such as abuse of religious authority and domestic abuse, along with being great reminder of who Jesus is.

No comments:

Post a Comment